RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Impossible Nightmare Becoming Reality
A young boy of twelve killed instantly by a falling tree or limb.
Hunting in Colorado with his Dad and friends, enjoying one another and bonding.
Thoughts of killing animals the only ones on their minds.
Experienced hunters, teaching their sport to a child, all rules of safety being followed.
Yet, no one could foretell the circumstances of this freak accident of nature.
Winds kicked up by an impending storm, blowing across the forest with no known targets.
Randomly knocking over a tree, unable to know that below it was a child experiencing life with his father.
Dying instantly, no inkling of anything untoward happening.
A childish face of peace and happiness blessing those present.
No pain or fear emanating from his expression.
In total shock and disbelief, a father kneeling beside his son's body, who just moments before was alive and talking.
Feeling the devastation and pain that followed as mother, sister, and brother were notified.
Child's body being flown back home for the funeral, prayed and cried over, then carefully buried.
Afterwards, the most difficult part, trying to continue living through the silent hell of it all.
So senseless. Unbelievable. A shock to everyone's being.
Pain of living never fully regaining it's stance, because death had taken many reasons from it's path.
RoseAnn V. Shawiak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Impossible Nightmare Becoming Reality by RoseAnn V. Shawiak )
Did you read them?
- Ginkgo tree - a haiku, Susy Evelyne
- Corrective measure, hasmukh amathalal
- My Path to Self-Discovery, Deborah Eker
- Besides a star, gajanan mishra
- You Cried Last Night, Cigeng Zhang
- At Least Honesty Remained, Rohit Sapra
- THIS AUTUMN, Satish Verma
- खुशियाँ गौने से पहले ही... (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- A Fish Remains, Rohit Sapra
- My Heart Is Still Alive, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)