The leaves are many under my feet,
And drift one way.
Their scent of death is weary and sweet.
A flight of them is in the grey
Where sky and forest meet.
The low winds moan for sad sweet years;
The birds sing all for pain,
Of a common thing, to weary ears,--
Only a summer's fate of rain,
And a woman's fate of tears.
I walk to love and life alone
Over these mournful places,
Across the summer overthrown,
The dead joys of these silent faces,
To claim my own.
I know his heart has beat to bright
Sweet loves gone by;
I know the leaves that die to-night
Once budded to the sky;
And I shall die from his delight.
O leaves, so quietly ending now,
You heard the cuckoos sing.
And I will grow upon my bough
If only for a spring,
And fall when the rain is on my brow.
O tell me, tell me ere you die,
Is it worth the pain?
You bloomed so fair, you waved so high;
Now that the sad days wane,
Are you repenting where you lie?
I lie amongst you, and I kiss
Your fragrance mouldering.
O dead delights, is it such bliss,
That tuneful Spring?
Is love so sweet, that comes to this?
Kiss me again as I kiss you;
Kiss me again;
For all your tuneful nights of dew,
In this your time of rain,
For all your kisses when Spring was new.
You will not, broken hearts; let be.
I pass across your death
To a golden summer you shall not see,
And in your dying breath
There is no benison for me.
There is an autumn yet to wane,
There are leaves yet to fall,
Which, when I kiss, may kiss again,
And, pitied, pity me all for all,
And love me in mist and rain.
Alice Meynell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Autumn by Alice Meynell )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -99, Ronjoy Brahma
- But It's Over, Tex T Sarnie
- The Opposing Thumb, Gouda Moon
- जोनोमगिरि आय, Ronjoy Brahma
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo