In The Mountain Park
The magpie is singing as the sun goes down
In the mountain park overlooking the Town
The wallabies graze by the road to the hill
They look much like statues standing upright and still.
The fox in the scrub she is nosing around
She tracks the brown hare across the stony ground
But he has long fled to a far safer place
And he is one she could not hope to outpace.
In Nature's wild kingdom the strongest and fittest survive
And the young hare has his speed for to keep him alive
So the fox she must search for far easier prey
The old and small and weak they are doomed that does seem Nature's way.
From the mountain park one can see far and wide
Across the beautiful though rugged and brown Countryside
A landscape that stretch to the great ocean shore
From the park in the mountain sixty kilometres or more.
In the mountain park in the twilight of day
The bird known as shrike thrush in his cloak of gray
Is whistling his song in the freshening breeze
That can be heard soughing in the acacias trees.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In The Mountain Park by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Hope and promises, hasmukh amathalal
- September Rain, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Elusive Is Zen, Tad Russell
- Analogy, Angela K Brown
- Anxiety, Angela K Brown
- Searching for Truth, Angela K Brown
- Lesbians, Angela K Brown
- Blood Runs Deep, Angela K Brown
- Innocence, Angela K Brown
- A Hole That Can't Be Filled, Jon Janson
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)