In The Theatre Of Roses I Took My Seat
in the theatre of roses I took my seat.
of course the cushions were rose velvet.
now we begin.
each petal whispers from the floodlights of
a moon overhead, in wisps of tissue pink
resembling clouds, resembling dreams that
barely speak aloud, the hidden streams.
I hid you in my pockets thinking to keep you
alive and when you curled at the edges
I cried. we remember sighed the roses.
we remember you near the rosebushes
in a corner of the yard and how you
tried. and now we're here so you can see
that wishes are never wasted on anyone.
and their rose laughter was so sweet
in waves and waves it rose.
I curtseyed like Alice learning my lessons curiously.
then, outside in the blinding afternoon
on the uneven sidewalks of the world,
I stood awhile- remembering life
as a little girl-
outside the matinee of roses.
I have finished now.
this was their song.
mary angela douglas 20 august 2014
mary douglas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In The Theatre Of Roses I Took My Seat by mary douglas )
- The paradox of becoming a Man, Nancy Handabile
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Victor Marie Hugo
(26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)