On Reading Cioran
Leaf caught in a branch of ice,
I am unsleeping,
neither dead, nor dreaming,
I exist when I
it makes me feel
You think because you
are not God,
I don't know you.
But I've been here as long as you,
I know the territory:
(it's yours and mine) ,
our marriage is
the first map.
The Insomnia of Galaxies
not knowing where they end,
but swirling by each other endlessly,
a sea of one accident succeeding another,
moons circling moons,
breath succeeding breath,
sleep, you, sleep, in stillness rest.
a picture of Giacometti's
Woman Standing stands on the sill,
next to dead roses and a clock.
On a chair, a book propped-open, wide-awake,
shows a woman Utamaro drew once.
she sticks a toothpick
through closed lips.
Outside it snows—
who is "it"?
In another room
thinks he knows what whoever is snowing
is going to do with it.
A series of "it"s
underlines the truth—
he doesn't know who snows either,
but streaks the early morning with a stream of empty sound.
In the air over the lake
the big birds fly, wheeling;
they scissor the light,
pattern over pattern, invisible scribbling,
dive into the trees
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Insomnia:A Sextet by Ioanna Carlsen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Wishes Granted, Bill Cantrell
- Killer instinct mind, Mark Heathcote
- Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair, mary douglas
- It's The Fairy Queen Out Of Sight In Pal.., mary douglas
- *VII*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron
- Every Man Remembered!, Denis Martindale
- White Frosted Cake Viewed At Ages 6 and 7, mary douglas
- Imprimatura, mary douglas
- What Catfish Is For - Meditation In Caro.., Warren Falcon
- Forgotten Waltz No.2 (After Liszt), mary douglas