Interval of Joy
We were happy all that morning
Ο God how happy.
First the stones the leaves and the flowers shone
and then the sun
a huge sun all thorns but so very high in the heavens.
Α Nymph was gathering our cares and hanging them on the trees
a forest of Judas trees.
Cupids and satyrs were singing and playing
and rosy limbs could be glimpsed amid black laurel
the flesh of young children.
We were happy all that morning;
the abyss was a closed well
ο n which the tender foot of a young faun stamped
do γ ο υ remember its laughter: how happy we were!
And then clouds rain and the damp earth;
you stopped laughing when you reclined in the hut,
and opened your large eyes and gazed
on the archangel wielding a fiery sword
'Ι cannot explain it, ' you said, 'Ι cannot explain it, '
Ι find people impossible to understand
however much they may play with colors
they are all black.
GEORGE SEFERIS. Translated by Kimon Friar.
Giorgos Seferis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Interval of Joy by Giorgos Seferis )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Little Stick Figures, Margaret Alice Second
- Racquets in Two-More, douglas scotney
- Life is drizzling, Amit Mathur
- Out Of My Head, Anuradha Singh
- Revealing life in Death, Angell Afinowi
- The Jujube Tree And Me, Madathil Nair
- AM HOOKED IN YOUR TRUE LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- Coffee And Cream Chocolates, Michael P. McParland
- Bless You Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- You at the Center, rosalinda flores rosevoc