Kathleen J. Shields
It's Been Six Months
It’s been 6 months since the funeral
Seems like only a week
2.5 years since our last fight
Why again couldn’t we speak?
Was it pride or hurt or arrogance
That kept us both away
I've done the whys and what ifs
There was nothing I could say.
Maybe it had to end like this
I never saw it coming
My sweet mother murdered
It still within is numbing
For years it was just the 2 of us
2 against the earth
And I grew up and moved on
Did she ever know her worth?
I wanted us to work it out
I didn't want to fight
We were supposed to talk again
To wake up and see the light.
I never thought the next time
we'd meet she'd be in a casket
I never thought our conversation
Would be so one sided
I never got to see her smile
or hear her laugh once more
To say hello and get a hug
When I'd walk in the door.
And as the trial takes its time
and details go unsaid
I sit here in the dark
and think about the dead
I wonder if she’s with me
or if she said goodbye?
Did her spirit visit me
as towards heaven she did fly?
Or have I been alone in this
to wonder stress and doubt?
Will I ever feel inside
this feeling I’m without?
I'm so ashamed I could not forgive
My feelings hurt too bad
And I will forever hate myself
each time that I am sad
For 6 months have passed a half a year
for me it’s been three years
And no amount of time will pass
that can ever dry those tears.
- Kathleen J. Shields
** Please rate my poems - I'd love to hear your thoughts.**
Kathleen J. Shields's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It's Been Six Months by Kathleen J. Shields )
- "Vae victis! ", Lento Maez
- the death of a little girl, Lizzy Hartwig
- Not Far Off: A New Beginning, M.J Donnchadh
- My Master, Aftab Alam
- There Are Two Worlds, Neela Nath
- Dirt Is Not Love, Neela Nath
- from 'The Double V', Morgan Michaels
- God Feeds the Birds, Dr John Celes
- Floating On, Neela Nath
- Perhaps I Did It Once, Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)