Stunned by the bolt
of genesis, high-browed,
big royal-blue eyes
we gave you the title
of a queen - Elizabeth, the third
girl, our fifth off-spring,
sister of twin, John;
As soon as you could
shuffle over our floors
you found that you could open a door
by pulling yourself upright
with the aid of its knob.
there was nowhere safe:
our stuff was yours, and the house
became your pen.
Rowen, the eldest, Jessie and Jules -
even then were your slaves,
stooping and skivvying for you.
I caught your sister,
from your nest-bed like a bird.
an imperial finger,
Jessica! you said – with zest -
your first word.
Jacqui Thewless's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jessica! by Jacqui Thewless )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- I love but, hasmukh amathalal
- 'FOR ME—WHAT MADE ‘BRYANT MCGILL' TRULY .., Nikhil Parekh
- happy b'day to india's most fascinating .., Nikhil Parekh
- تعالي لنرسم معاً قوس قزح, سميح القاسم
- Norman Doesn't Go to Ferguson, Missouri, Donal Mahoney
- طائر الرعد, سميح القاسم
- تقدموا, سميح القاسم
- Fearless, Omar Eldamsheety
- Unintentional Existence: Repository Citr.., Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Friendzone (Rap song), Clint Kingham