Daniel Trevelyn Joseph
Every moment is joy,
Every place is joy,
Every creature is joy,
When I walk under blue or clouded sky,
When I pass by a slum in Mumbai,
Visit Pong Yong lake in Leh, flashing
Its seventeen colors from this bank to that,
When I see compound of middle income society
In Bandra East, close to my house,
Sporting a badam tree, an exotic palm,
An ashoka tree, and a Christmas tree all together
Although the leaves are all brown with dust,
When I enjoy my full faculties
Even when it means hearing criticism
Or being aware of pain somewhere in the back.
For years, since I taught English
As lecturer in SVN College of Madurai,
I have given as example for life
A glass of milk
With poison drops two or three,
In the shape of pain, poverty or death.
Now, I have grown up.
Have Zen, and Osho
Made me what I am?
No, joy has always been there
It is only the discovery now.
They are fingers
Pointing to the Moon
Of my delight.
D T Joseph
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Joy by Daniel Trevelyn Joseph )
- wild rabbit., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Address to Wm. Tytler, Esq., of Woodhous.., Robert Burns
- Impromptu on Carron Iron Works, Robert Burns
- The Belles of Mauchline, Robert Burns
- Bhai Phonta, Brother's Paste, Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Lord a-Hunting he is gane, Robert Burns
- Lines on the Author's Death, Robert Burns
- Verses on Captain Grose, Robert Burns
- Eyes they see, Diplove gautam
- Inconstancy in love, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Man, Sidney Watson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Autumn Song, Sarojini Naidu
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 January 1903 - 13 March 1976)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)