David Lewis Paget
‘Of course there isn't a God out there,
We're here, for better or worse,
The world just happened, ' he said to me,
‘The same as the universe!
One day nothing, and then Ka-poof
The planets appeared in space,
They happened from nothing, ' said Hedley Boof,
‘The same as the human race.'
‘So you don't believe in a guiding hand,
You don't believe in design,
Our trucks and cars just rattle together
And bring themselves off the line.'
‘Well now, that's different, ' he said to me,
We do whatever we can,
Who can fathom the brains behind
The ingenious works of man? '
‘But man himself, such a complex thing,
You say that he just evolved?
Each one grown from a tiny egg,
You think…' ‘Yes, problem solved!
We started once as a single cell
Came out of the primal slime,
Adapted to our environment
In a billion years of time.'
‘So brains and livers and kidneys came,
And eyes just happened, you say,
And hands and fingers and teeth and hair,
And what about D.N.A? '
‘Oh, science is there to explain these things,
To me, it doesn't seem odd,
In all the journals of science, you
Will not read a word of God.'
‘It's all just superstition, ' he said,
‘Man needs to believe there's more,
He makes up things like spirits and souls
That will take him beyond death's door.'
‘So you'll be happy to not exist
When death comes, gives you the nod?
I think that's probably better for you
Than the terrible glare of God! '
28 March 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ka-Poof! by David Lewis Paget )
- Feisty seed of love, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Precious Corral Of your Heart, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The son's gratitude, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love all ones is a myth., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Mixture Of Interior Knowledge, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Like normal man, hasmukh amathalal
- ~The Place Where Dreams Die~, E Nigma
- They all, hasmukh amathalal
- Within Poetical Interludes, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Look In Your Ear - Haiku, Robert Eckstein
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)