Keeps Affecting me Deep!
When his friends are roaming in shoping malls,
he is in the library, sinking in Shakespeare,
and not noticing me in the opposite seat.
When his friends crave for a glance from me,
he never looks at my face, while walking
on the other side of the road.
While taking food in the dining hall,
I am expecting a flashing gleam from his eyes,
refusing to respond for the calls from the eyes around.
But what nixes him from watching me?
When my friends find difficult to clear my doubts,
he tells aloud the answer to a surprising third person.
Why he tells it not to me, the longing darling?
He seems to ignore me but really not.
His scant attention on me keeps affecting me.
When he gets into the bus before me,
if there is a single vacant seat,
he leaves it to me and goes to the front of the bus.
He offers a fleeting smile when I thank him later.
Once, he dashed against me
on the threshold of the classroom.
He apologized to me several times but I was,
in the silent mirth as he spoke to me for the first time.
I feign as if to have no interest in him
though his lovely manners have already drawn
the map of love at my pleading heart.
There is no visceral excitement in his actions;
may be due to some wound caused by a viper in the past.
But his self-restraint exhilarates my modest heart.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Keeps Affecting me Deep! by rajendran muthiah )
- Resistance To Change, Is It Poetry
- The Pirate's Lament, Alex Dubedat
- Live Life Smiling, Elizabeth Garcia
- Quiet Dave, Adeosun Olamide
- We Are That, Tushar Ray
- Old-Fashioned Cosmology, douglas scotney
- Dreamt Of You 3, Michael McParland
- That's When You Do It, douglas scotney
- Freedom in Love's Prison, Paul Hartal
- Gun Propaganda, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 March 1941 -)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)