'Knocking On Heaven's Door'
I went knocking on Heaven's door today
but no one came to the door to see.
Who was making all that knocking noise
for it was just, little old me!
I guess they might all still be sleeping?
Or maybe out shopping, at Heaven's Grocery store?
So I guess I'd better continue
just knocking, knocking on Heaven's door?
As I gazed in through leaded glass windows
of those golden Heaven's doors.
There on knees was seen an Angel crying!
who cried out, ' God doesn't live here anymore! '
'He went to earth yesterday
to fight earths war, with His Angels you see!
And left me here to man Heaven's doors
but I've seemed to have misplace their keys! '
I can't seem to let you in right now
so can you come back maybe, another time?
I will let you know if I find the keys later
I'll be sure to send you, an Angel's Knee Mail line.
Linda Winchell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Knocking On Heaven's Door' by Linda Winchell )
- I Am Time, Time, Indelible, Indestructib.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
- Courage, Scott J. Shepard
- For Those Who Starve, Scott J. Shepard
- Gorgeous Girls, Scott J. Shepard
- Your Wet Eyelashes, Eyelids, Bijay Kant Dubey
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love In The Guise Of Friendship, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)