Robert William Service
What would I choose to see when I
To this bright earth shall bid good-bye?
When fades forever from my sight
The world I've loved with long delight?
What would I pray to look on last,
When Death shall draw the Curtain fast?
I've loved the farewell of the Sun,
Low-lapsing after work well done;
Or leaping from a sea forlorn,
Gold-glad to greet a day new born. . . .
Shall I elect to round my dream
The Sun I hail as Lord Supreme?
Ah no! Of Heaven's shining host,
It is the Moon I love the most;
And if, when I shall cease to be,
God lets me keep one memory
Of loveliness that held me thrall,
The Moon's the one I would recall.
. . . The new Moon fine as pearly clip
From Cleopatra's finger-tip;
. . . The ripe Moon vaulting o'er the trees
As ruddy as a Cheddar cheese;
. . . The late Moon, frail and wanly fair,
Relaxed on silver rocking chair. . . .
But most of all, the Moon intense
With radiant indifference;
So placid, glacid, pure, serene,
Of all perfection proudly Queen. . . .
Oh Mistress Mine, let me adore
Your beauty but one moment more!
One last look . . . Let the Curtain fall,
Then let me look no more at all.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Last Look by Robert William Service )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
Poem of the Day
- My Call To You, Michael P. McParland
- Much Love, Michael P. McParland
- More Than You Can Know, Michael P. McParland
- Mistakes, Michael P. McParland
- Mental Illness, Michael P. McParland
- Meant To Be, Michael P. McParland
- Many Mistakes, Michael P. McParland
- Magic Beans, Michael P. McParland
- COTTON AND OIL, Sir Toby Moses
- Loves Sweet Song, Michael P. McParland