Let Her Bloom
The first time a man meets her,
his lids flicker,
an appropriate reaction.
The first time a woman meets her,
her eyes pop out and coil on her forehead,
another appropriate reaction.
Who can blame either?
Today, who buys the canard
about the true, the good, the beautiful
in theory or in a woman?
Let them watch her as I did.
Let them frisk her for flaws
that will allow them to live
as they are, as they were,
as I was when I met her.
Till then, let her bloom
with my children
while I wonder, I try.
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Let Her Bloom by Donal Mahoney )
- Palace of death - this body, gajanan mishra
- Twelve Step Heaven, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Hardcastle Crags, Sylvia Plath
- Burning The Letters, Sylvia Plath
- On Edge at Midnight, Kimani wa Mumbi
- Why do we need friends, Bineeta Kharga
- My Body ain't a Lab, it's a Temple. Wors.., Kimani wa Mumbi
- Black Pine Tree In An Orange Light, Sylvia Plath
- treasure and love, sultan mahmud
- Gulliver, Sylvia Plath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan