Letter [Persephone To Demeter]
At home, the bells were a high light-yellow
with no silver or gray just buttercup or sugar-and-lemon.
Here bodies are lined in blue against the sea.
And where red is red there is only red.
I have to be blue to bathe in the sea.
Red, to live in the red room with red air
to rest my head, red cheek down, on the red table.
Above, it was so green: brown, yellow, white, green.
My longing for red furious, sexual.
There things were alive but nothing moved.
Now I live near the sea in a place which has no blue and is not the sea.
Gulls flock, leeward then tangent
and pigeons bully them off the ground.
Hardly alive, almost blind-a hot geometry casts off
every color of the world. Everything moves, nothing alive.
In the red room there is a sky which is painted over in red
but is not red and was, once, the sky.
This is how I live.
A red table in a red room filled with air.
A woman, edged in blue, bathing in the blue sea.
The surface like the pale, scaled skin of fish
far below or above or away—
Rachel Zucker's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Letter [Persephone To Demeter] by Rachel Zucker )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mir Taqi Mir
(1723 - 1810)
(1924 - 2000)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Touch Downs, Saiom Shriver
- Bethlehem, Saiom Shriver
- Beloved Brand, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Shadow, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Under The Moonlit Nights, I See You, See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- have you seen my hand?, Mandolyn ...
- My Inspiration Are You, The Day I Saw You, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Azar, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ohio State, Saiom Shriver
- crowding around the crumbs you leave, Mandolyn ...