As the pillars of concrete grow all around them, shadows are cast over the flowers who search for the sun.
Roots tangle and strangle each other’s homes as they look to find a place to call their own.
Rain falls like bombs on an unsuspecting city.
They crash and splash onto the flower heads hiding amongst the scarce green grass.
The petals withstand the heavy lash as they look towards the superior sun in hope of nourishment.
But the sun stands idly by, watching and leaving the stranded flowers to struggle and die,
And the storm sweeps away the innocence as the seeds fly into the harsh winds of everyday life.
Pollution from cars and fires choke the leaves who struggle to breathe through the dense smoke.
But then it’s calm.
The wind stops, the rain stops, and the flood stops.
And the flowers are left with the rare but beautiful sight of a rainbow.
A bright pallet of colours ranging from violet to red is strewn across the blue sky.
Though it is only the eye, the calm will cease,
The war will soon be back
And the battle for life will start once again.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Life by Jason Lowes )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1878 - 3 May 1916)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 August 1880 – 9 November 1918)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Love's Substitute, Bernard O'Dowd
Poem of the Day
- Mountainclimber, hafiz qasim
- Miss Legs, Dorsey Baker
- A Lesson to Fur and Leather Entertainers, rohan bendre
- Love Is Here To Stay, Dorsey Baker
- Mother's helplessness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Lesson of Patriotism, rohan bendre
- Pen-and-Ink, hafiz qasim
- Destroyer and Preserver, hafiz qasim
- My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- TEACHER, Shachi Kaul