Light a Candle for Iraq Today
At last there is a constitution
presented to a divided nation.
A dog’s dinner, a mishmash
of ideas put together in a rush.
It narrowly escaped failing,
even though it was ailing.
Nonetheless, it was ratified
even though it was vilified.
Next comes the election,
dream of a hopeful nation.
But will it bring democracy
or usher in theocracy?
The invaders intention was clear:
a democratic Iraq will bring cheer
to oppressed nations living in fear.
But will democracy be just a veneer?
This I cannot foretell,
for time alone will tell.
All I can do is hope and pray
and light a candle for Iraq today.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Light a Candle for Iraq Today by Isam Hussain )
- Flooding In Kaschmir, Leslie Philibert
- Wild mentality, hasmukh amathalal
- Like A River, Edward Kofi Louis
- National University, Edward Kofi Louis
- May We All Find What We're Looking For S.., Daniel Karbon
- Your love has made me wild and mad, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- Tree of life, Veronica Centeno
- Gil Scott Heron, Daniel Karbon
- Headache, Daniel Karbon
- Seeds, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson