a. by degrees
Which gives it over to our raging orders.
In the ground, planted,
my hands on you;
it was a time for it.
The waves turn out ashamed,
the voice but thought at the bus track,
in the ground, cool,
all of which I know.
To the alkali my oldest son is lost,
in the assault of fresh grass,
with the turn of a flower,
as our cousins by their tables,
the petals fallen on the seat.
We too are on the porch near the ground,
urged to follow closely
the red of the afternoon.
I will continue with your flower tight
in your hand, the deep slits
almost to center, a light breath
on the sound of the kettle, a thunder,
thunder, shells, the shaggy rangers
patrol the brush under the trees.
Something scuttles to the sea;
havoc is among our tables.
Our tables were styled near the ground,
arms folded, assisting a death
of surprise in the public treasure.
c. as love
We picked nails for the yard.
Salt. The towns of the river;
we pick at flowers as builders;
they are stealthy and have become more subtle.
So all laughed and provoked us to scrutiny.
The earth is chained and
will last for twelve years.
Tony Towle's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Little by Tony Towle )
- The Return, Smoky Hoss
- A poem for a poem, Nikola Pajtic
- Candlelight, Matt Mooney
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns