Robert William Service
I never saw a face so bright
With brilliant blood and joy,
As was the grinning mug last night
Of Dick, our local boy,
When with a clumsy, lucky clout
He knocked the champion out.
A week ago he swung a pick
And sweated in a ditch.
Tonight he's togged up mighty slick,
And fancies himself rich.
With floozies, fine food, bubbly drink
He'll go to hell I think.
Unless they make another match;
And if they do I guess
The champion won't have a scratch,
But Dick will be a mess;
His map will be a muck of gore
As he sprawls on the floor.
Then he'll go back his pick to swing,
And sweat deep in the mud . . .
Yet still I see him in the ring,
So gay with glee and blood,
Dancing a jig and holding high
His gloves to climb the sky.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Local Lad by Robert William Service )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Finger's Moving - A.S.L - Fresh cut dais.., sEaN nOrTh
- COPLA 70 INVOCATION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- The Ragged Men As Ph.D. Guides On Indian.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Fraud Scholar & The Ragged Ph.D. Gui.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Shadow & Raven Haiku, Chenou Liu
- I Will Bake a Cake, Chris Zachariou
- Frosted Torrents, Mishka Allport
- Opinion Vs Opinion, Kyle Schlicher
- Sunlight Crawling, Kyle Schlicher
- Experiment with Flute!, Geetha Jayakumar