I can't get away from the loneliness,
It hangs over me like a cloud,
It follows me like a stray, hungry dog,
It waits for me in the crowd.
It used to pant and claw at my door,
I resisted, but I knew it would win,
It found the key hidden under the mat
And now it just lets itself in.
The loneliness latched onto me
A long, long time ago,
I never could hide it - it's so obvious
Like a blackbird in the snow.
I've lived with loneliness so long
It's become part of my physique,
I watched as we grew old together,
My loneliness and me.
But, I'm already resigned to this fate,
Looking over my life, I recall
If it hadn't been for the loneliness
I'd have no companion at all.
Lora Colon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Loneliness by Lora Colon )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- NIGERIA OF MY DREAM 7, john chizoba vincent
- The tin box, Sagarika Julka
- Strong Woman, Lilly Emery
- Am I doing fine?, Sagarika Julka
- The Willow Tree, Lara A. Aqrawi
- Not Slowing Down, Maverick Jones
- NIGERIA OF MY DREAM 6, john chizoba vincent
- NIGERIA OF MY DREAM 5, john chizoba vincent
- Let me ask you, Sagarika Julka
- Sunset Point, Neela Nath