M.Lermontov, Desire - translation (rus.)
by Michael Yuryevich Lermontov
Why ain't I а bird, not а raven in steppe,
Who's flown over my head?
Why can't I soar there in sky, highly so,
And love only freedom and scope?
To west, only west, I'd like rush in desire
To see fields, with a blossom entirely,
There the ancestor's castles in mountain hazes,
Still keep their old rest's ashes.
On the ancient wall the old ancestor's shields
And swords so rusty hang still.
I could fly above those swords, those shields
And clean their dust by my wings.
When I slightly touch there the old scott's harp
The sound flies highly above,
And quieten after, when I interrupt
To twitch those strings in the dark.
But prays are in vain, and so - the dreams,
The fate's rules are rigid to be.
And there are the waves of the alien seas
Between motherland and my feels.
The last of descendants of the prominent fighters
Are fading there far in the snowpiles.
Was born in this place, being alien to it...
Oh! Why can't I the steppe raven be?
Lyudmila Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (M.Lermontov, Desire - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(9 April 1821 – 31 August 1867)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- I embrace my pen, gajanan mishra
- Loveless Love, Paul Hartal
- But vicinty, hasmukh amathalal
- Past Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Still Small Voice, Leong Ming Loong
- Gap and divide, hasmukh amathalal
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Mulugkhw..., Swrji Basumatary
- Being Entertained By Nature, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You face odd, hasmukh amathalal