Silent maraca inside my brain
Shaking the seeds of life giving grain
Jostling around the nuts of creation
Juiced up tears of belated elation.
Inward cactus of rib tickling fun
Drives like a knife in the desert sun
The sound of rain on its spiney legs
Crunches a feast of bacon and eggs.
You could eat that smile his yoke is easy,
But lay off the grain, you’ll make him queasy.
A hand reaching out to bang that drum,
Four little fingers, one little thumb.
Why are those fingers stretched into thin air?
Because he wants to tug at your hair.
Funky chunky feet and darling face
Take over my mind and fill the space.
Of piglets and markets,
Of pretty bells and rings,
And blackbirds and crows.
The sound in your ear is
A gurgling laugh.
A wordless sentence of
Of twinkles and diamonds,
Like sparks in the sky.
Of grand dukes and old kings,
Who swallowed a fly.
The voice in your head will
Love beyond reason.
A tiny little hand
Grips the fate of a nation.
Lydia Martin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Madness Retreats by Lydia Martin )
- Invisible, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- Separating Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Subsequent Melody, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- The Catalyst, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- To Miss You, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- Anderson, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- Southward Bound, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Breathless Messages, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 1969, Angela K Brown
- Immortal Men, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)