Make An Eight
If the good lords a-willin’, and the creek don’t rise.
Ill bare down and make an eight second ride.
But if I fail to make that ride, ill still hold my head up high,
And draw that bronc another time.
Well the good lord was a-willin’
He was on my side.
I got to draw that bronc for a re-ride.
I looked that old mare straight in the eyes,
And said im going to make one hell of a ride.
Well I sat down on that buck-skin mare
Stuck my hand in my riggin
And pulled my hat down over my ears.
Well she bailed outa there like she was on fire.
My dual-rals were a clicking
As she jumped higher
She bucked to the left
She bucked to the right
But I stuck it to her with all my might.
Well I went the full eight but I wanted more,
So I just juiced her til the pickup man said no more.
So I bailed off,
Threw my hat in the air.
And had one hell of a grin
From ear to ear.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Make An Eight by Jimmie Waters )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(14 October 1888 – 9 January 1923)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(23 January 1861 - 2 Apirl 1931)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Tribute To The Pet Shop Boys, Michael P. McParland
- Tribute To Freddie Mercury, Michael P. McParland
- Hail! The Coming Year, Anthony Di'anno
- Treat, Michael P. McParland
- Touched, Michael P. McParland
- Generation Kill, Talile Ali
- Santa's answer, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Too The One I Love, Michael P. McParland
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael P. McParland
- Taking advise, george albot