Dr John Celes
Malala Day 12th July, UN
The absence of light is darkness;
The presence of it gives brightness;
Education is the true light
That can improve world’s children’s plight!
Let pens become weapons like swords;
Let voice pour forth powerful words;
Let books become for women, shields
Until knowledge, the power it yields.
Children must go to schools to learn;
Youth mustn’t be forced to work and earn;
Let knowledge empower women,
To stand upon their legs, like men!
World leaders must change policies;
For education, all need peace;
Let lives of children be secure;
Terrorism must find its cure!
Usher a world of peace for all;
Literacy is the clarion call;
All nations want to live in peace;
Let wars and terrorism cease!
You shouldn’t ignore the lives of youth;
If nurtured well, they give good fruit;
The wealth of nations is children;
Earth can be changed, be made heaven!
Give children all, the power of ken;
Terrorism’s afraid of the pen;
Bullets can’t silence literate;
To root out terror, educate!
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
by preventing her from going to school!
Modified from Malala’a speech at UN, New York
Dedicated to the braveheart, Malala Yousafsai
who stood against Taliban terrorists.
Copyright by Dr John Celes 12-07-2013
Comments about this poem (Malala Day 12th July, UN by Dr John Celes )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Catch 22 on the Lake District hills., Dan Reynolds
- My Words, Fatima Nusairat
- Jesus And Gandhi: South And North Of Sam.., Saiom Shriver
- I Remember, Ronald Chapman
- The Flash Of The Brahman, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Chick Coalition, Saiom Shriver
- it's no surprise i'm weeping, just a lit.., Mandolyn ...
- Culmination, Angell Afinowi
- A Flowers Telling of Orpheus, Skyler Ryan
- West, GRANT FRASER