Matthew Ch.7 V.12
'Do unto others -
As you would have them do unto you.'
A simple Bible verse -
Telling us to treat others
As we would like to be treated ourselves.
But is it written the wrong way 'round?
If we were to treat others
In the way we treat ourselves -
A dark and lonely life we would lead -
Many friends we would lose.
Would you tell a friend,
To stand in front of a mirror -
And say - 'you are ugly, you are fat? '
Leaving them their beaming light to hide - under a bushel?
Would we endlessly criticise -
Our friends each and every mistake?
To use each error as a millstone -
To hang aorund their neck.
Would we tell our friends
'You are stupid - good for nothing? '
Tying them up in misery -
Binding themselves in the chains they forged in life.
Would you say - 'You can't do that -
You're not good enough! '
Holding them back -
From each and every dream and aspiration?
Yet that is what we do -
Each and every day - to ourselves!
Yet we would not accept such treatment -
Nor would we give it to friends - or even strangers in the street.
Perhaps what Jesus should have said
Would read something like-
'Do unto ourselves -
As we would do unto others! '
bryan wallace's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Matthew Ch.7 V.12 by bryan wallace )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Question, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Thank the love gift me the verses by Ra.., Yuri Starostin
- पूनम का चांंद.............., sanjay kumar maurya
- An Angelic Figure, Ahmad Husain
- And the Trains Go On, Philip Levine
- Hair-raising, hafiz qasim
- Desperadoes, gajanan mishra
- Beatific, Naveed Khalid
- Bed of lust, Gerald Obinna
- The Traveling Onion, Naomi Shihab Nye
- Stuff I Love, Emily Liang