Matthew Ch.7 V.12
'Do unto others -
As you would have them do unto you.'
A simple Bible verse -
Telling us to treat others
As we would like to be treated ourselves.
But is it written the wrong way 'round?
If we were to treat others
In the way we treat ourselves -
A dark and lonely life we would lead -
Many friends we would lose.
Would you tell a friend,
To stand in front of a mirror -
And say - 'you are ugly, you are fat? '
Leaving them their beaming light to hide - under a bushel?
Would we endlessly criticise -
Our friends each and every mistake?
To use each error as a millstone -
To hang aorund their neck.
Would we tell our friends
'You are stupid - good for nothing? '
Tying them up in misery -
Binding themselves in the chains they forged in life.
Would you say - 'You can't do that -
You're not good enough! '
Holding them back -
From each and every dream and aspiration?
Yet that is what we do -
Each and every day - to ourselves!
Yet we would not accept such treatment -
Nor would we give it to friends - or even strangers in the street.
Perhaps what Jesus should have said
Would read something like-
'Do unto ourselves -
As we would do unto others! '
bryan wallace's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Matthew Ch.7 V.12 by bryan wallace )
- Alone Together, Amber Carr
- টিপ্পনী, Pijush Biswas
- You Put The 'Fan' In Fantastic, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Heartache, Liendang Hmar
- Paper Wing, Liendang Hmar
- Like a Candle In The Wind, Liendang Hmar
- Story Line, A.R Evangelista
- Make a living but fail not to live, Bashyam Narayanan
- The Price I Pay, James George
- Not alone, Cheryl .J Barclay
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- First Inspiration, Jose Rizal
- TAGALOG ELEGY: Sining sa Halip na Dasal, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1644 - 1694)