When growth of doubt graces swiftly the timescape,
In the mirror flash faces mocking and folks laughing.
Confidence shrunk and seer like raisins in the mighty sun,
Spirit fizzles like pearl-dew-drops in the vast golden ocean of sands.
i count in the mirror how many curls and grey my hair holds,
I pinch and hold my nose aquiline,
I press my cheeks thin and firm,
I bite my lips inside and teeth clenched...
curse my difference to the world!
Reflection teary, weary, shaky, fading...
Oh, poor sanctuary of this soul!
And, enough for my opening salvo!
now, let the rock requiem wail and sound
Like a million crowd I shall sing
Like the tempest I shall dance
to the heavy beat and choric danger,
I'll shatter the mirror, shake the earth!
and with my very scream, shall silence these sinister voices between my ears
now and for all eternity!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mirror Breaking by Cristone Benavente )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Howdy! Howdy!, Abekah Emmanuel
- In Search of the Woman Thing, David Lewis Paget
- A Shadows Whisper, Spiritwind Wood
- My Hand In Yours, Michael P. McParland
- Little Stick Figures, Margaret Alice Second
- Racquets in Two-More, douglas scotney
- Life is drizzling, Amit Mathur
- Out Of My Head, Anuradha Singh
- Revealing life in Death, Angell Afinowi
- The Jujube Tree And Me, Madathil Nair