When growth of doubt graces swiftly the timescape,
In the mirror flash faces mocking and folks laughing.
Confidence shrunk and seer like raisins in the mighty sun,
Spirit fizzles like pearl-dew-drops in the vast golden ocean of sands.
i count in the mirror how many curls and grey my hair holds,
I pinch and hold my nose aquiline,
I press my cheeks thin and firm,
I bite my lips inside and teeth clenched...
curse my difference to the world!
Reflection teary, weary, shaky, fading...
Oh, poor sanctuary of this soul!
And, enough for my opening salvo!
now, let the rock requiem wail and sound
Like a million crowd I shall sing
Like the tempest I shall dance
to the heavy beat and choric danger,
I'll shatter the mirror, shake the earth!
and with my very scream, shall silence these sinister voices between my ears
now and for all eternity!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mirror Breaking by Cristone Benavente )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Edwin Arlington Robinson
(22 December 1869 – 6 April 1935)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Price, Nassy Fesharaki
- Fuck You, Michael Webb
- The marvelous designer., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Stories We Tell Ourselves, Michael Mira
- The catastrophe., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Peace One Day, Lyn Paul
- 'THE INFANT'S WAIL', Princewill Umunnakwe
- daggers of bayonets, pittbull pittman
- The Flow of Destiny, Sandra Feldman
- Gratitude to parents, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.