When growth of doubt graces swiftly the timescape,
In the mirror flash faces mocking and folks laughing.
Confidence shrunk and seer like raisins in the mighty sun,
Spirit fizzles like pearl-dew-drops in the vast golden ocean of sands.
i count in the mirror how many curls and grey my hair holds,
I pinch and hold my nose aquiline,
I press my cheeks thin and firm,
I bite my lips inside and teeth clenched...
curse my difference to the world!
Reflection teary, weary, shaky, fading...
Oh, poor sanctuary of this soul!
And, enough for my opening salvo!
now, let the rock requiem wail and sound
Like a million crowd I shall sing
Like the tempest I shall dance
to the heavy beat and choric danger,
I'll shatter the mirror, shake the earth!
and with my very scream, shall silence these sinister voices between my ears
now and for all eternity!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mirror Breaking by Cristone Benavente )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Remove Maya Angelou!, Richard Thripp
- Night, Emranor Reja
- Metaphor, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Kimmo Samuel Timonen, Richard Thripp
- Jean-Félix Picard, Richard Thripp
- Simón Bolívar Day, Richard Thripp
- Death Denizens, Richard Thripp
- March to past, SALINI NAIR
- Elements Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Inner Freedom's Equality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak