He was a momma’s boy.
And he treated me as his toy.
To him I was just a ragdoll.
That could take a good beating.
Sometimes his beatings came so hard that I could hardly crawl.
He liked to hit me right in the center of the stomach.
It always left me feeling horrible.
Like I was going to throw-up,
I was his ragdoll that wouldn’t give-up.
I had problems with my stomach muscles.
And there were times that I couldn’t even raise myself up.
But this was the life of a ragdoll toy.
Sometimes he would pull my hair.
So hard that he would leave it on the floor,
It didn’t seem like momma really cared.
Then he would kick me.
Or spit on me.
Momma would just shake her redhead.
There were times I thought he was going to knock off my head.
I wasn’t sure how long a ragdoll toy could last.
Because he could move so fast,
I was just a little ragdoll in his crazy hands.
That never understood his plans.
On how he was going to destroy this ragdoll toy,
He said he was going to take me to the lake.
And tie my hands and feet to cement blocks.
And I would sink like heavy rocks.
And mom and dad would never see my golden locks.
I figured he would.
Because he would do anything he could.
To his little ragdoll toy,
That prayed God would free her from a crazy boy.
Being a bad momma’s boy!
I learned early on I was just a broken toy.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Momma's Boy by Patricia Kelley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Expression Eruption: Confidence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- An Indian English Ph.D. Thesis On Modern.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- the half truth, Dr Puneet Aggarwal
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra