At the foot of a northern pylon of the Harbour Bridge
I have kept my vigil since the mighty span was built.
I come early in the day from worn-out corners of the area
and sit when the sun is out until the waning afternoon,
thence to another role, another manifestation of duty.
On my way I pass a cavern echoing with traffic noise.
When the sun is setting it blazes up like a testing tunnel
of the cosmic fire at the beginning and ending of universes.
It reminds me we are not that far in time from a kalpa’s ending.
More than four thousand million years in the lives
of the starry and the planetary entities
who influence us and are never truly seen.
At the pylon’s base I meet with seeming fools and sages,
more of the former, alas, but it was ever the same
at the other Thebes. The great towering stone columns could fittingly house
the troglodytic priests and harbour an inward turning flame
in bifurcated flowering for the known and unknown god
and my own dilapidated dispensation.
The only way the scene differs now
is in the lack of overt piety,
the thinning out of conscious pilgrims passing by me
here upon the seasonally withered grass.
Bruce Beaver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Monolith by Bruce Beaver )
- HOWARD STERN, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- HOW MUCH DID YOU GIVE?, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- HOW LONG CAN WE RIDE THIS CRAZY BUS?, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- Not Far Off: A New Beginning, M.J Donnchadh
- HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- HOLLYWOOD 1996, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- HILLARY CLINTON'S ADDRESS, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- HELLO PUPPIT LADY, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- TORMENT, Donald Charon
- Parents (Quatrain), Dorian Petersen Potter
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Mighty Horny Power Rangers, Ramona Thompson
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns