Monsters In My House
When its late at night
everyone is fast asleep,
I often fear this time of night.
I creep slowly out of bed
and slide across the wooden floor,
making sure the boards do not creak.
I press my ear up to my door
and listen for the monsters whisper's sneaking
through my door, deep inside I know they are about
joking at what fun they will have at my expense.
There is one that lives under the stairs,
I've named him Fred, he likes to grab my feet when I walk
up the starts so I run instead.
There one behind the hallway door,
I've name him Gregg, he likes to pull my hair, so I slam the door
as hard as I can.
Theres one that rattles bins outside,
not forgetting the one in the boiler
when the light go out.
I often fear this every night and hope
and pray that they are not hurry.
maria goodison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Monsters In My House by maria goodison )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Victoria Spivey's, David McLansky
- The Land, Marites C. Cayetano
- Touch and claim, hasmukh amathalal
- Sonnet: The Awesome Creator, Dr John Celes
- Sashay, Cee Bea
- Snakes are snakes always, gajanan mishra
- Sonnets Uncorseted, Maxine Kumin
- Sky, mina lotfi
- Where are my children, gajanan mishra
- Winter Festival Chant, Luo Zhihai