I cried today
on Mother's day
I've been wanting to cry for a long time
I've been wanting to cry for about a year now
Mascara and eyeliner running down my cheek
And three pairs of brown eyes looking at me
'What is it, mom? '
'You didn't like the breakfast we prepared for you? '
'Why are you crying, mom? '
What do I tell them?
That I've been trusting once again
and got hurt yet one more time?
That I gave my soul to someone
and he didn't treat it as I hoped he would?
That I'm losing my hope in people?
Or, that I'm crying 'cause their pure love touched me?
'Cause I realize that paradise is right there in front of me
and I've been looking for it elsewhere?
'Cause I realize that they're the only ones capable
of loving me unconditionally, no matter what I do or say?
- I'm crying 'cause you're all I have in this world, I said
as my son was handing me a love coupon
promising me a hug whenever I needed it
- I'm crying 'cause you make me feel complete, I said
as my little one was handing me her drawing
- I'm crying 'cause I love you more than life itself, I said
and my eldest son gave me a card apologizing for backtalking
- I'm crying 'cause you're giving me strength to face this ugly world, I said
And I cried some more cleansing tears.
Closed my eyes and tried to take it all in
Wanted this moment to last a lifetime.
Written on Mother's Day (May 13,2007)
CeCe Lamberts's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mother's Day by CeCe Lamberts )
- Unpacking Gold, Arno Le Roux
- Storybook Story, Arno Le Roux
- God's Violin, Arno Le Roux
- Willow, weep for us, Peter Jay Shippy
- Masking War, Arno Le Roux
- Wedding Album, Jeannette Heywood
- I Can't Believe That You're in Love With.., Peter Jay Shippy
- Thatched hut., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Cobbled stones, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Give me freedom, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
(1679 - 1718)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)