Must You Be Marooned?
To expect success every time,
To hope for respect everywhere
And to long for pleasure all the time
Would turn you to a narcissist.
Then you will see others around
As a target and exploit them
For your end without a mercy
And turn a prowling hungry beast.
Then you would be utmost selfish
For your needs, wants, greed and lust,
And strive for them at any cost,
And turn blind to its consequences.
Then you would grow at others’ cost,
At others’ profound enmity
And at others’ resentful eyes
And would bend means to get the end.
Then you will not rest to retain
What you have attained at all cost
And do sin after sin through out
To end a life marooned from the rest.
Instead, restrict your winning thirst
In a sport, in an art or a skill.
Don’t use your skill to kill others.
Have tolerance to coexist.
Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Must You Be Marooned? by Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar. )
- AUTUMN BRIDE, Rose Lu ( Bing hua )
- As Time Turns, Cathy Hodgson
- Suazo Nights, Eddie Morgan
- Juicy Lucy, I Salute Your vASStness!, Monk E. Biz
- As Long As I Am There For 'You', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Paralyzed And Iced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Art and the Pain, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Alien Lullaby, Akujuobi Chijioke
- A Song Of Long Ago, Lilly Emery
- Simply Amazing, Olecia Henry