'' My Attempts At Poetry Are Dead ''
I entered a poetry competition,
If I won I’d give a rendition,
Of what would be my great submission?
I had it all in my head.
I’d use acrostic to obtain a phrase,
Soon my head was in a daze,
This was just another craze,
I’ll try something else instead.
I know what, I’ll write a ballad,
Though the result might well be pallid,
At least I know it will be valid,
Though it may remain unread.
I’ll try again I’ll write blank verse,
In my words I’d soon immerse,
This type of poem is too diverse,
It’s filling me with dread.
Haiku though it can be amusing,
I wouldn’t say it’s of my choosing,
Really I find it quite confusing,
I feel I’m being misled.
A senryu may be more appealing,
But it doesn’t give me any feeling,
The very concept’s left me reeling,
It’s where angels fear to tread.
An epic poem is what I’ll write,
Heroic deeds in every fight,
I’m afraid the end is not in sight,
The result I’m going to shred.
So many types of poetry to ponder,
If only my thoughts wouldn’t wander,
This opportunity I must not squander,
It’s dry my mind’s being bled.
This writing poems is far too tough,
My poor brain is feeling rough,
If truth be told I’ve had enough,
‘’ My Efforts To Write Poetry Are Dead ‘’
bri mar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('' My Attempts At Poetry Are Dead '' by bri mar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
Poem of the Day
- My Queen 2, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen, Michael P. McParland
- My Promise, Michael P. McParland
- My Prayer, Michael P. McParland
- Two-In-The-Morning Freakout, Michelle Dragonfly
- My Love For You, Michael P. McParland
- Venice, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- Happy Birthday, Jesus!, Denis Martindale
- 'Til The Break Of Dawn, Mary Love Ybanez
- The Perfect Gift!, Denis Martindale