My Inner Child
Together one day I said to myself,
What’s wrong, how’s it going with our mental health?
We are meant to be one, you and me,
Why is it then sometime it feels like I’m three?
With stern words and whispers,
I screamed at myself,
Come sit down beside me,
We’ll cure this with stealth.
Solemnly doing as I was bid I sat and considered the role of the kid.
It’s there to excite be curious and wild.
Why is it then I fear for my child?
Is it for the horrors and the things in the night?
Is it my conscience causing me fright?
Why is that a child so free,
has the power and courage to control the real me.
I am now older with kids of my own,
I’m the real king that shall sit on the throne.
Harkin to me my dear little one,
I’m in charge now, and we’ll still have some fun!
Should things get scary, as they probably will, have faith, trust and love together you and me, we’ll fit like a hand in a glove.
No longer from now will we ever be three
For I have discovered the adult is me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Inner Child by Stephen Hayles )
- rotating, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- I Wait for Thee, Adam M. Snow
- With dignity, hasmukh amathalal
- Aurat, Bano Ali
- Change The Inevitable, Tony Adah
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.57, Mr. Nobody
- Long before my birth (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- Let Me Be Her<3, Nautica Moxley
- Absalom, Gert Strydom
- Freedom Is Calling, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)