My Inner Child
Together one day I said to myself,
What’s wrong, how’s it going with our mental health?
We are meant to be one, you and me,
Why is it then sometime it feels like I’m three?
With stern words and whispers,
I screamed at myself,
Come sit down beside me,
We’ll cure this with stealth.
Solemnly doing as I was bid I sat and considered the role of the kid.
It’s there to excite be curious and wild.
Why is it then I fear for my child?
Is it for the horrors and the things in the night?
Is it my conscience causing me fright?
Why is that a child so free,
has the power and courage to control the real me.
I am now older with kids of my own,
I’m the real king that shall sit on the throne.
Harkin to me my dear little one,
I’m in charge now, and we’ll still have some fun!
Should things get scary, as they probably will, have faith, trust and love together you and me, we’ll fit like a hand in a glove.
No longer from now will we ever be three
For I have discovered the adult is me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Inner Child by Stephen Hayles )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Forgotten, Michael P. McParland
- Forgive Me?, Michael P. McParland
- The Hermit, David Lessard
- Forever Yours, Michael P. McParland
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- Forever Hope, Michael P. McParland
- Many Mornings Before Sunrise, M.J. Lemon
- For You, Michael P. McParland
- For Now (Know I Miss You), Michael P. McParland
- Footsteps, Michael P. McParland