My Lovely June
O come sweet June, my lovely June
The month when first the roses bloom -
A wondrous, colourful display
By sunlight kissed throughout the day,
So chasing all my cares away.
And fixed above, the starry bull,
Glittering there, so beautiful,
Adorning thus the northern skies
Whene'er the dazzling daylight dies -
‘Tis like a glimpse of Paradise.
Then climbing high in heav'ns expanse
The sun ascends, to so enhance
The splendour that is all around.
O June, fair June, wherein abound
The seasons gifts, which full surround,
With flower petals soft unfurled
And vines around the trellis curled.
The grass is sweet and richly green
With shining luminescent sheen -
Your face, my June, a beauteous scene.
Carnations flourish through the years
Bursting forth from Mary's tears,
And Honeysuckle-scented air,
No other fragrance does compare -
I seek to ever tarry there.
O June, dear June, for you I wait -
My longing ever shall abate
When you recur with all your grace
To lift my heart and light my face,
And thus my soul to full embrace.
Such pure delight, all heaven sent,
O June, my June, you bring content.
‘Tis you for whom I ever yearn,
Awaiting thus your prized return -
O June, my lovely June sojourn.
Valerie Dohren's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
They are perennials which are in full bloom, like most other flowers, during the month of June.
Comments about this poem (My Lovely June by Valerie Dohren )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- Mark Strand
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Separate Paths, Lora Colon
- Dream Actualizers, Saiom Shriver
- Promise Me! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- 2015 is still ahead, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Those Who Long For Death, Saiom Shriver
- Babe, Saiom Shriver
- Twelve Christmas Angels, Loyd C. Taylor
- When I am able to do what I like عندما ا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- At Poemhunter, Khairul Ahsan
- Within My Dreams, Michael P. McParland