In the midst of falling rain, I find I’m not falling.
Cats and dogs don’t hound me.
Rain clouds roll by.
Storm clouds piled high.
My umbrella, keeps the falling rain from drowning me.
Hold me close! See me flying!
Red skies, do not mourn for me.
Sailors worry, Jailors scurry.
But my umbrella keeps the falling rain from washing me away.
It’s been said to me,
That a smile should be your umbrella.
Well I suppose that it may be true,
But it goes much deeper than that.
Because a smile is just another coat you wear,
But the rain chills to the bone.
So from now on I’ll be wearing my smile,
Right next to my heart.
Because a broken heart can cause a lot of pain,
But a broken smile is a smile all the same.
And broken dreams can drive a man insane,
But a broken umbrella still holds out some rain.
Rain oh rain cloud, Pass away now.
Come on back another day,
Cause my umbrella wants to play.
In the midst of all my pain, I find, I’m not hurting.
No longer all wrapped up.
A new wind stirs now.
My mind it clears now.
Nows the time to catch the sun before it flies away.
Hold me close! Let’s go flying!
Blue skikes soaring in your eyes!
Take my hand now.
No need to land now.
Sailing, drifting, wings of love can carry you and I away.
It’s been said to me, that a smile should be your umbrella.
Albert Ralph's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Umbrella by Albert Ralph )
- Flying October, Vinaya Joseph
- অলস কবি, Yakub Ali
- Intimately Caressed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- চান যা পাবেন তা!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Purposeful Enigma, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Coming Of Harmattan, Tony Adah
- Pursuing Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Innocense, ekta mudgal
- What Would Happen, IF I Were Unseen?, Mr. Nobody
- The Buried Past, David Lewis Paget
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Television, Roald Dahl
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(19 January 1919 - 10 May 2002)