Saying good night, at the end of each day,
I'm sad she's not here, but miles away.
Decades ago, she once was my bride.
I miss her so much, I'm empty inside,
With her not here, I do nothing but cry.
Closing my eyes, I then try to sleep,
With longing inside, I again start to weep.
Suddenly remembered, what I once said to she,
We'll meet in the stars, waiting I'll be.
Once we're united, let our spirits run free.
Though distance tends, to keep us apart,
Remember I still hold her near in my heart.
Most nights together, cannot be ours,
Though married to others, and stuck behind bars.
Close your sweet eyes, and we'll meet in the stars.
Recalling those words, I then start to smile,
Close gently my eyes, lessening the miles.
I see all the stars, how beautifully arranged,
But she is not there, nothing has changed.
Sadder I get, with no love we’ll exchange.
I sit there, alone, with hope in my heart,
Cursing the life, that kept us apart.
Then off in the distance, wisps start to churn,
An image appears, of something long yearned,
Tears start to flow, you've finally returned.
Copyright © 2013 -
GJG Elton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nightly Goodnight by GJG Elton )
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
- Lovers are Poets and Poets are Lovers, Mr. Nobody
- I dont have to but I love you Blues Song, Dimitri Jagodinski
- Mulder, John Carlos
- I am here to help you, gajanan mishra
- Father, gajanan mishra
- Within The Forest, Brianna SaurusRex
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
- Gandhi, gajanan mishra
- Keep Up, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Cullen Bryant
(November 3, 1794 – June 12, 1878)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns