John Thorkild Ellison
No Common Sense (a Love Poem)
What's happened to my common sense?
The last thing that I want to do
Is irritate or cause offence
By saying what you know is true.
And so small-talk becomes the rule
And I bury my sorrow deep inside,
I laugh and joke and play the fool
And no-one knows how much I've cried.
I love you more than ever now
And I try so hard to mask the pain -
How can I mask it? Tell me how!
It's slowly driving me insane!
I dread to imagine what you think
When I talk of these things that are forbidden,
There was a time when I would drink
To drown these words and keep them hidden.
'Cos small-talk sometimes gets me down
And I don't know what to do or say,
I just don't want to see you frown
And brush my stupid love away.
But now I really have to speak,
I feel I no longer have a choice,
Will you give me the comfort that I seek?
Will you even listen to my voice?
John Thorkild Ellison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (No Common Sense (a Love Poem) by John Thorkild Ellison )
- My nature is to write, gajanan mishra
- Two Rings, Shannon Paterson
- Dreams Incarnate, Dylan Engelbrecht
- The Rose, Neela Nath
- No one to question, hasmukh amathalal
- She does, hasmukh amathalal
- Multi-dimensional; heavens?, Mark Heathcote
- Watch, ramesh rai
- You Know I Do, Michael McParland
- Drowning, Neela Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)