No Respect Dude
No respect dude the teenager said
Unhappy with me for not honouring the war dead
But his idea of what is respect is quite different to mine
He has his opinions and that suits me fine.
The making of a young soldier in some future day
To fight in a war from his homeland far away
For by his own admission that is all he aspires for to be
The heroes to him are not heroes to me.
Perhaps of emulating his ancestor the teenager does dream
But those he sees as heroes are not mine it does seem
My heroes believe in live and let live
And any perceived wrongs of the past are happy to forgive.
No respect dude words from one quite young
Perhaps one day too his praises will be sung
And though he may not survive to march in the war parade
At his grave site the last post for him will be played.
My advice to no respect dude is live long as you can
And forget about war live to be an old man
And watch your great grandchildren in the children's playground play
For life is for living as some are known to say.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (No Respect Dude by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Trembling Thirst, Mantu Mahakul
- Final Truth, Mantu Mahakul
- The Sower And the Seed, George Egba
- Garden capers, Mark Heathcote
- Controlling the five senses leads one to.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Buried in my chest, Meena Mustafa
- Unlike Many, Alade Abayomi IdrisWhite
- Many Heavens, George Hunter
- Pronounce Or Never, George Egba
- How now, george albot
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)