Lawrence S. Pertillar
Not Afrocentric Enough
They acted as if,
I was an embarrassment to them.
Not Afrocentric enough.
Even though I had identity,
Branded on my 'strut-and-stuff'!
My name, Lawrence Suhuba
Doubling the meaning of my given name.
Suhuba (Lawrence) now Lawrence S.
Proud of my heritage and having no shame!
None to confess.
Today I 'strut' with my stuff all over the internet.
Doing what I've done most of my life.
And that's write.
And I might have been an embarrassment to them then...
But 'them' not feeling comfortable to be who they are now,
Should embarrass them more!
Since having no identity today,
Makes little sense since everything folks have lived for...
To impress with materialism has diminished in value.
And everything they are has been invested in it!
My head is held high...
If I am not in deep thought!
I might not have a dime in my pocket.
My mind tells me I'm worth millions!
And I look to the ground,
Just to make sure I'm not dropping any of it!
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Afrocentric Enough by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- When Whispers Death, Its Cruel Call!, Dr John Celes
- mother, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadh ..
- Say You It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burning, Spiritwind Wood
- Somebody Often Keeps Asking, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The devotee shows his angry to the God!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Love-bonding With a Muhammedan Girl (Bil.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mera Amanaat Hai Tum, Amitava Sur
- IN both terms, hasmukh amathalal
- Before The Bullets, Alfred Barna
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- O Tell Me The Truth About Love, WH Auden
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No More Clichés, Octavio Paz
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)