Lawrence S. Pertillar
Not Afrocentric Enough
They acted as if,
I was an embarrassment to them.
Not Afrocentric enough.
Even though I had identity,
Branded on my 'strut-and-stuff'!
My name, Lawrence Suhuba
Doubling the meaning of my given name.
Suhuba (Lawrence) now Lawrence S.
Proud of my heritage and having no shame!
None to confess.
Today I 'strut' with my stuff all over the internet.
Doing what I've done most of my life.
And that's write.
And I might have been an embarrassment to them then...
But 'them' not feeling comfortable to be who they are now,
Should embarrass them more!
Since having no identity today,
Makes little sense since everything folks have lived for...
To impress with materialism has diminished in value.
And everything they are has been invested in it!
My head is held high...
If I am not in deep thought!
I might not have a dime in my pocket.
My mind tells me I'm worth millions!
And I look to the ground,
Just to make sure I'm not dropping any of it!
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Afrocentric Enough by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- With A Rakhi To Tie The Small Behana Wai.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Persimmon Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- The read., Meena Somasundaram
- Time is Time, Juliet Languedoc
- The Garbage Is Collected On Thursday, Kyle Schlicher
- Are The Girls For To Be Sold & Bought?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Was Thirteen, Kyle Schlicher
- A strong strife!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- I.H.Rizvi As A Romantic Indian English P.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Life In A Beer Commercial, Kyle Schlicher