George Pope Morris
Not Married Yet!
I'm single yet--I'm single yet!
And years have flown since I came out!
In vain I sigh--in vain I fret--
Ye gods! what are the men about?
I vow I'm twenty!--O ye powers!
A spinster's lot is hard to bear--
On earth alone to pass her hours,
And afterward lead apes--DOWN THERE!
No offer yet--no offer yet!
I'm puzzled quite to make it out:
For every beau my cap I set--
What, what, what ARE the men about?
They don't propose--they WON'T propose,
For fear, perhaps, I'd not say, 'Yes!'
Just let them try--for Heaven knows
I'm tired of single-blessedness.
Not married yet--not married yet--
The deuce is in the men, I fear!
I'm like a--something to be let,
And to be LET ALONE--that's clear.
They say, 'She's pretty--but no chink--
And love without it runs in debt!'
It agitates my nerves to think
That I have had no offer yet.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Married Yet! by George Pope Morris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Undiminished, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Finish This List Of Chores, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Good circle, hasmukh amathalal
- Live with this moment, gajanan mishra
- The loss may be, hasmukh amathalal
- Stay free from desires, gajanan mishra
- G O P....Profiling - The Black Republican, James B. Earley
- Destroy not, gajanan mishra
- I Have Friends, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Leave It As That, Lawrence S. Pertillar