Not Romeo and Juliet
Sea green, her eyes and long red hair
that shone like bronze towards twilight.
Her laughter, a peel of utter delight;
In my mind she was Irish.
She refused my adolescent passion
I was too young for her.
And I said: if you will not be my love
I will join the merchant navy.
It was winter, snow fell on the docks where
the ship was moored, but she was not
there to take farewell
We met again when we both were
middle aged, her eyes still green, but not
as verdant as the sea.
A melancholic smile, both married twice
and we knew about regrets.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Romeo and Juliet by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Unintentional Existence: Black boy, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Prayers, kyvin nash
- nineteen ninety six, Mandolyn Davidson
- Rocky needle, Nassy Fesharaki
- My china, Nassy Fesharaki
- I Shall Be With You, Anelle Komana
- Wolves of Chaos, Maverick Jones
- Heart and mind at war, Rodney R. Cooper
- OUR NEED FOR LOVE, Tom Zart
- Apocalypse, Roisin Batty