Not Romeo and Juliet
Sea green, her eyes and long red hair
that shone like bronze towards twilight.
Her laughter, a peel of utter delight;
In my mind she was Irish.
She refused my adolescent passion
I was too young for her.
And I said: if you will not be my love
I will join the merchant navy.
It was winter, snow fell on the docks where
the ship was moored, but she was not
there to take farewell
We met again when we both were
middle aged, her eyes still green, but not
as verdant as the sea.
A melancholic smile, both married twice
and we knew about regrets.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Romeo and Juliet by oskar hansen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Poem of the Day
- Hagar in the Wilderness, Tyehimba Jess
- That hopeless hope ذلك الامل العديم الامل, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Incomplete Lioness, Linda Bierds
- The Dog Next Door, Tony Adah
- Joseph Cornell, with Box, Michael Dumanis
- The Painting, John Balaban
- Time to Think in an Unused Place pt.2, cheynne dries
- Why knowing is (& Matisse's Woman with a.., Martha Ronk
- Time to Think in an Unused Place pt.1, cheynne dries
- Grouch Grinch, Philo Yan