Not Stood Up
At last she had arrived, hips swinging.
unhurried, rather strolling.
Two hours late,
I, like a girl,
a whimpy one at that,
I had stood there,
pretending very well
to like the neighbourhood.
But not quite blending in.
'Well, piss off, inner man,
your lonely finger of
such righteous indignation,
it just fell off, things happen!
Buses break down,
and those much softer,
what counts is only
she is here.'
'So, tell her so! '.
'It is alright,
I have all day,
no problem, no,
I'll cancel classes,
the funeral of grandpa, too,
She was not paying good attention,
could be a listener she was not,
but then who is, today, tonight?
Things more important
in this world were dear to her.
She glanced across the busy street,
well, looking, even maybe longing,
some interest of peculiar kind
was occupying her sweet mind.
Her pink-framed mouth then opened briefly,
exposing pearly whites and moist
strawberry tongue, God so delicious.
'Sorry', she said, 'truly I am,
and please believe me, it's not YOU,
something is wrong within myself,
not you, at all, but many fishes
can be retrieved from many seas.
But I'm already very late,
so here's Good-bye, I guess, for now,
but will be seeing you, okay? '
And turned, to leave, then stopped and said
over that lovely shoulder, left,
half-draped by shiny, auburn hair,
those dimples, rosy cheeks and ears,
a dipple, lone but prominent
protruding, straining looking hostile,
'still friends we are, that's understood? '
and crossed to waiting beau, brisk steps.
As far as I remember this,
I never ever liked those pads,
on shoulders, not on girls at all.
Then, whistling. Exit. Pub. Next left.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Stood Up by Herbert Nehrlich )
- Amritpaan, ramesh rai
- Sonnet: Labourers in the Vineyard (Mathe.., Dr John Celes
- Prayer To God-Sri Ramakrishna., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- The Deserted Spring, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Love In Lovers' Poetry, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Fun never runs out!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The Passing Winds, Tex T Sarnie
- Too Few Words, Tex T Sarnie
- Wake up!, Md. Asadullah
- viper kiss, aaron jimenez
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Worker Reads History, Bertolt Brecht
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)