T (no first name) Wignesan
Ode To Spain, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Oda A Espana
(before the Civil War)
(Alejandro Duque Amusco draws attention - in his selection of Carlos Bousono’s poems – to the fact that José Luis Cano considers Bousono to be the poet who re-introduced the theme of « patriotism » in the poetry of the post-Civil War (1936-39) era. T. Wignesan)
Oh! Spain! the land where
while one fighting bull assailed, another kills.
Drunks flying without direction in the stars
seek to ascend shirt-sleeves at the cuffs.
At the meeting points of unfortunate demise
and of living it up, the merrymaking
goes on until midnight. Accordeons.
More wine. Applause. Uproars. Whistlings. Nausea.
In the midst of this wild revelry, a priest militarily surges up.
Imposes benedictions and awards medals.
He climbs up upon a chair. Harangues the crowd.
A general rising up in the thick of battle.
In the hardened and deserted arenas
on the route of bitter thirst,
multitudes of drunks bracing themselves against the wind,
staggered at the rising of the sun.
One of them was dressed as a bull-fighter.
Another laughed to himself. All were dancing.
In the treeless plain swept by wind: persistent hunger,
Spain stammered and choked.
© T. Wignesan – Paris, 2013
T (no first name) Wignesan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode To Spain, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Oda A Espana by T (no first name) Wignesan )
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(22 March 1941 -)
Michael P. McParland
(July 19 1983)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Open the floodgate.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- A Dream Of Death,, Luo Zhihai
- Feeling Your Spirit, Michael P. McParland
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey