as if they were statues in a dream,
people left over from some other party;
not tonight's, some other one - you met them,
yes, partially you met and had meant to meet again.
He'd just published in POETRY and that we nibbled on
as if the idea had been a good once; frozen,
unfrozen for the evening and somehow lost its flavor.
You try again; how many countless times you try
to pick up where you left off -
a forgotten name of a forgotten dog you'd once adored
as a child of your own dreams of being a child
with a dog you once loved.
Robert Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Often by Robert Leary )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- How a knowledgeable person should behave.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Ups and down, hasmukh amathalal
- Warm-Hearted Hospitality, Terence G. Craddock
- R U hurting, Gregory Kelley
- Hospitality Professional Courtesy, Terence G. Craddock
- What my heart says, Gregory Kelley
- More, douglas scotney
- To the Apple Green, Peach Blossomed Skie.., mary douglas
- Qoute # 5, Is It Poetry
- The Impolite Proprietress, Terence G. Craddock