In my flights of fancy I often do see
The Village in Sliabh Luachra and Duhallow known as Knocknagree
A famous old Village on the higher ground
With views of the mountains for long miles around.
The hill of Caherbarnagh and the Paps of Shrone
And old Gortavehy in it's face of stone
And Clara near Millstreet not that far away
The memory of such beauty with one tend to stay.
The Village where Ned Buckley the great bard penned many a rhyme
And has it changed much with the passing of time?
Since i was last there some two decades gone by
And the young boy back then is no longer a boy.
Of old Knocknagree Fair an old story is told
Of the great bard Eoghan Ruadh O Suilleabhain he was not then old
By an irate farmer was hit with a stick on the head
Of something he had written about him or about him had said.
'Twas said that as a result of his injury Eoghan the bard later died
But of his place in literary history he has not been denied
The words of the poet are still living today
Though for his renown his price was huge to pay.
A Village on the Cork and Kerry border that never grew to a Town
But old Knocknagree has it's claims to renown
My last memories of it two decades ago
Was of a day in November cold enough to snow.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Old Knocknagree by Francis Duggan )
- Unrest Soul: Scaffolding Divergence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- I Was There, David Lacey
- GRACE, Itsoghole O Solomon
- Clock Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Promise You, Lilly Emery
- Rock my boat, george albot
- Those who complain النئائين, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 3 Petal Flowers, Kyle Schlicher
- Prosperity Milking Cow Of Good, sallam yassin
- A Blank Page, Elia Michael
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)