Old Love Rust Not
I walked across the bridge that spanned
over a white running river; and she was
there on the other side waiting for me.
One day she wasn´t there, she had gone
to Denmark to work as a nurse, but she
had not told me and had not left a letter
telling me why she had gone away.
I remember asking her, or was I begging?
Do you love me? Yes, I love you forever,
she had said, and kissed me tenderly.
And now that I´m old I see that she said
this to soothe my fear of not being loved.
Another spring and forty years has gone
the river is the same, so is my love for her.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Old Love Rust Not by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Know, Lyn Paul
- Those Who Know, Monk E. Biz
- peaches on the side, Mandolyn ...
- i could have made s'mores, Mandolyn ...
- Song: State of Fear, Dave SmithWhite
- there's an element in the room, Mandolyn ...
- Goodbye 2014, Michael McParland
- Holding Moments In Cupped Hands, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Beauty, Brianna Kimball
- Seminars, Mark Heathcote