On a rainy day
The sky is overcast with cloud-
The sun knows not where his pride lays;
A stolid day among untiring days.
Continuous thunders, or sounds, loud-
Make the day untrim
Dark and dim.
The Earth looks gloomy under veil
'Tis nothing but fearful symmetry
Can do him deviated from beauty
As he thinks, better be undrunk than smile,
For all living creatures look fervourless
And, matters go pity more or less.
But, in fancy the trees amid these
Nod heads, and lose themselves in glee;
Out of never-ending pensive mood they be
After they have been blown by breeze.
Moreover, drops of water glitter
At the edges of leaves; O, 'tis beyond utter!
At least, twenty or more swans, yet
Are fond of wallowing 'mid deep clay;
As merry-making is their instinct, and play
Joyfully, to forget the woes of lives, abbreviate.
Not the hidden sun nor cloudy sky
Be cause of their live-long sigh.
Pijush Biswas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On a rainy day by Pijush Biswas )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Exceptional Gifts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- None Sweeter, Michael McParland
- The First-poem Writers of Indian English.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Old man Standing, michael hagwood
- Angelwalk 1, Mr. Spock
- From the rooms, Tom Squires
- stop talking to me, m. l. eoff
- A Lover of A Muslim Girl Am I, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Death ballet, Ojaswi Machiraju
- The Indian Villages of Paglets, Bijay Kant Dubey