On Re-Reading A Child's 'Garden Of Verses'
In the heart of ageing fellow there was still the little boy
In his bed and on the blankets playing with his soldier toy
Stevenson the great poet and author for long years at writing toiled
Yet despite success and glory at heart he was still a child.
Young Robert was in his garden as a child and roaming free
He could hear the small birds chirping in their nest high on the tree
And the child he gazed in wonder at the marvellous things he see
Butterflies flying in the sunshine and the busy worker bee.
Stevenson the poet and author he was getting old and gray
But he was back again in Scotland in his garden far away
Playing with his toys in the sunshine in the shadow of the trees
With the pleasant scents of Nature wafting in the Summer breeze.
Playing at hide and seek and fun games, blind man's buff and pass the ball
And from the see saw in the garden he could see above the wall
He could glimpse his neighbours gardens as he see sawed up and down
One of the many happy children in Edinburgh his Hometown.
From 'A Child's Garden Of Verses' one great lesson I recall
That the child within is living and breathing within us all
It's just that as some of us grow older we grow bitter with the years
And our child within is stifling in our phobias and fears.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Re-Reading A Child's 'Garden Of Verses' by Francis Duggan )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Stilling to North, Arthur Sze
- Counting the Days, Leonard Champlin
- Blue or Green, James Galvin
- By Sun Arisen, Saiom Shriver
- From Weapon To Lifegiver, Saiom Shriver
- Ars Poetica (cocoons), Dana Levin
- A Self-defeating Victory, Rajesh Thankappan
- One With The Infinite God, Saiom Shriver
- I See The Ground, Naveed Akram
- Tears And Smiles..., Khairul Ahsan