One For The Good Guys
Batter, batter, batter, batter,
Good eye Jimmy watch that ball.
Come on hit anything, it does'nt matter,
You know Tex-Ag has to fall.
The kids from Alton are riding high,
They have'nt won a game all year.
But they're not letting this one get by,
And undefeated Tex-Ag is shedding tears.
Jimmy hits a line drive, down the left field line,
Bringing in two more runs, for the good guys.
There's nobody in the dugout, this is so fine,
Everybody on our side, has something in their eye.
Nineteen to nothing, you gotta believe,
We've only won one game all year.
And though this moment may be brief,
Today David took on Goliath, without fear.
Group hug on the pitchers mound,
These are the greatest kids i've ever seen.
Hugs and high fives all around,
Today for a brief moment, we were a team.
This poem is dedicated to the pony league team from the city of Alton Texas, of 1973, of which I was an assistant coach. The next year they won the title.
6/4/10 29 palms ca.
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One For The Good Guys by Juan Olivarez )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Prime Truth - 95, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Prime Truth - 94, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Whatever Happened?, Mark Kosek
- Prime Truth - 93, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Lacertilian Writers, Abdullah alHemaidy
- Painful Throbbing Tides, Michael McParland
- This World, Sandra Feldman
- Prime Truth - 92, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Gold Star Mother, Charles Hancock
- Oooooohgust, Ferdinand L Quintos