One For The Good Guys
Batter, batter, batter, batter,
Good eye Jimmy watch that ball.
Come on hit anything, it does'nt matter,
You know Tex-Ag has to fall.
The kids from Alton are riding high,
They have'nt won a game all year.
But they're not letting this one get by,
And undefeated Tex-Ag is shedding tears.
Jimmy hits a line drive, down the left field line,
Bringing in two more runs, for the good guys.
There's nobody in the dugout, this is so fine,
Everybody on our side, has something in their eye.
Nineteen to nothing, you gotta believe,
We've only won one game all year.
And though this moment may be brief,
Today David took on Goliath, without fear.
Group hug on the pitchers mound,
These are the greatest kids i've ever seen.
Hugs and high fives all around,
Today for a brief moment, we were a team.
This poem is dedicated to the pony league team from the city of Alton Texas, of 1973, of which I was an assistant coach. The next year they won the title.
6/4/10 29 palms ca.
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One For The Good Guys by Juan Olivarez )
- Forget You Not, Forget You Not, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love Me, Love Me, You Just Love Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The sweetest song, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Be logic., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Loving Me, Leave Me Not, Desert You Not,.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- L'amour est un Triste Caméléon, Hebert Logerie
- स्वप्न, dhirajkumar taksande
- <<< আমি বাংলার পাতি মাষ্টার, Abdul Wahab
- Lost homes, hasmukh amathalal
- A Tiny Island, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns