Hannah Bryson Price
One Last Day
As I see her lying there,
Her pale skin oh so bare,
The withering rose about to walk away,
From the ever fading light of day,
Her soul so full of love
Like Aphrodite's symbol, the dove.
And though her face was drained,
I remembered that her smile could part the clouds when it rained.
I cried with so much regret,
'Why couldn't I have been there when you wept? '
Her gentle smile creeped on her face as I continued to weep,
When she was released from her imprisoned sleep.
My tears turned as she said,
'My dear, for how many days have I laid in this bed? '
Through my sobs I stared at her pale face,
'Two years you have been enslaved in this place,
Your eternal sleep has caused these tears to stream down my face.'
'Weep no more my love, I say.
This is a special occasion. Here, with me, will you lay? '
'Of course my dove, I am overjoyed that you are here to stay.'
'I love thee more than words can say,
But every rose must wither. I have only been granted one last day.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (One Last Day by Hannah Bryson Price )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Mitchell Gonzalez
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Police Car, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- My Little Bird, Alfred Oyori
- Regret, Damian Murphy
- Helpless reasonings, Howard MacDougall
- The first Flight, michael hagwood
- Fake, RJP Patterson
- Bee Bathes In Bliss, Saiom Shriver
- Merry Christmas, lee fones
- Searching For Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Strong Enough, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Past Woes, Naveed Akram